Baked Apples with Orange-scented Sweet PotatoesPeggy Lampman, www.dinnerfeed.com
(Holiday Cuisine, apples, sweet potatoes)
Yield: 6 baked apples
2 large sweet potatoes* (3 pounds)
1 tablespoon orange zest, finely chopped and 1/4 cup of orange juice
1 tablespoon walnut oil or melted butter
3 tablespoons dried chopped cranberries or cherries, plus extra for garnish
3 tablespoon walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped, plus extra for garnish
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Pinch of cayennne
1-3 tablespoons light brown sugar plus 3 teaspoons
6 large baking apples, such as Macintosh or Empire
Juice from 1/2 lemon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake sweet potatoes on middle rack until they can be easily pricked with a fork. When cool enough to handle, peel away skin, remove and discard dark discolored parts, then mash until pureed with a fork or potato masher.
- Stir in zest, orange juice, walnut oil or melted butter, 3 tablespoons dried cranberries or cherries, 3 tablespoon walnuts, cinnamon, cayenne and 1 tablespoon of sugar. Season to taste with additional sugar and kosher salt. Reserve.
- With a sharp knife, slice off top of apple, 1/4-inch down from stem. With a paring knife or mellon baller, core apple to a 1-inch depth, removing more of the center stem and seeds. Combine 3 teaspoons sugar with lemon juice and brush over cored apples to sweeten slightly and keep from browning. Place apples in a lightly-oiled, foil-lined, oven-safe baking dish; mound with the sweet potato mixture.
- Bake on middle rack of oven 20-30 minutes, depending on the size of your apples. Apples should be just tender when pricked with a fork; they will fall apart if overcooked. Garnish with chopped walnuts and dried fruit.
- Canned sweet potatoes may be substituted for fresh.
- Tips on making ahead: Pre-bake 15 minutes, cover and refrigerate, up to 24 hours, in advance. Before dinner, put them into a pre-heated oven and bake until re-heated and tender, paying attention not to overcook them.
- Time to bake sweet potatoes: 45-60 minutes
- Active Time: 30 minutes; Bake Time: 20-30 minutes