Marinated ArtichokesMario Batali
Yield: 10 servings
10 globe artichokes, outer leaves and chokes removed
2 lemons, cut in half
5 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
3 Tbsp red chili flakes
1 bunch mint leaves
2 qts extra-virgin olive oil
- Trim the artichokes and cut into ½-inch wedges and rub with a cut lemon.
- In a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine the artichokes, garlic, 1 Tbsp chile flakes, and mint leaves and cover with the 1 qt olive oil. Place pan over high heat and boil. Then remove from heat.
- Cover the pan and allow to cool in the oil.
- Transfer the artichokes to a clean jar, adding a pinch of chilies every cup of artichoke pieces.
- Cover with new oil and seal.
- To serve, drain the oil and serve at room temperature or re-heated in a saute pan, seasoned with salt and pepper.