Grilled Asparagus with Balsamic SyrupCentral Market
Yield: 4 servings
¾ bunch asparagus
½ C inexpensive Balsamic vinegar
¼ C extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
½ tsp kosher salt
¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Prepare the asparagus. Snap off tough bases of spears and discard. Set aside.
- If you plan to prepare syrup on an indoor stove, turn on the vent fan over the cook top.
- In a small saucepan bring the vinegar to a simmer over medium heat, then reduce heat until a few bubbles are just breaking through the surface.
- Cook at slow simmer until about ¼ cup. Vinegar will cling to the back of a spoon and it will coat the bottom of the saucepan when you rock it back and forth. Total cooking time will be roughly 10 minutes, but keep an eye on the vinegar. If it cooks too quickly or it reduces too much, it will turn bitter rather than sweet.
- Remove saucepan from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- Lightly coat asparagus with oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Lay asparagus perpendicular to the bars on the cooking grate. Grill over direct medium heat, with the lid closed as much as possible, until lightly charred and crisp tender, 4-6 min. Turn and swap positions as needed. Indoors: 11 min. under 450° broiler.
- Drizzle syrup over plated asparagus spears.