Cream of Asparagus SoupEpicurious.com
Yield: 4 servings
2 lb green asparagus
1 large onion, chopped
3 Tbsp unsalted butter
5 or 6 cups chicken broth
½ C créme fraîche or heavy cream
¼ tsp fresh lemon juice or to taste
- Cut tips from 12 asparagus spears. Cut 1½ from top, and halve the tips lengthwise if thick. Discard tough ends of spears. Cut stalks and all remaining asparagus into ½-inch pieces.
- Cook onion in 2 Tbsp butter in a 4-quart heavy pot over moderately low heat, stirring until softened. Add asparagus pieces and salt and pepper to taste, then cook, stirring, 5 minutes. Add 5 cups broth and simmer, covered until asparagus is very tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- While soup simmers, cook reserved asparagus tips in boiling salted water until just tender, 3-4 minutes. then drain.
- Purée soup in batches in a blender until smooth, transferring to a bowl (use caution when blending hot liquids), and return to pan.
- Stir in créme fraîche, then add more broth to thin soup to desired consistency.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring soup to a boil and whisk in remaining tablespoon of butter.
- Add lemon juice and garnish with asparagus tips.