Yield: 6 servings
1 Tbsp butter
1 onion, chopped
1 Tbsp all purpose flour
28 oz chicken broth
1 lb asparagus, tough ends discarded, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 tsp dried summer savory
Sour cream or plain yogert (optional for garnish)
- Melt butter in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add chopped onion and cook until tender, stirring occasionally, about 8 min.
- Add flour and stir 2 min. Gradually mix in chicken broth. Add asparagus, reserving tips, Bring mixture to boil.
- Drain asparagus, reserving cooking liquid.
- Puree asparagus in food processor. With machine running, gradually add ½ cup cooking liquid.
- Return mixture to saucepan. Add asparagus tips. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer until tips are tender.
- Soup can be made one day ahead of serving. Cover and refrigerate.
- Bring soup to simmer, ladle into bowls. Top with dollops of sour cream or yogurt if desired.