Caramelized Bananas with Raspberry SorbetCentral Market
Yield: 4 servings
4 small bananas, firm but ripe
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
1 Tbsp. dark brown sugar
1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
4 large scoops raspberry sorbet
1 C postachios, coarsly chopped
- Using charcoal briquettes, prepare a two-zone fire for medium heat.
- Cut each banana in half lengthwise, but leave the skins attached. They will help the bananas hold their shape on the grill.
- In a 9 X 13-inch, heavy-duty foil pan combine the butter, sugar, and lime juice. Place the pan over direct medium heat, with the lid open melt the butter and sugar.
- When the butter and sugar are melted, slide the pan over indirect heat. Using long-handled tongs, dip the banana halves, cut sides down, in the butter mixture.
- Lift each banana half out of the pan, allowing the excess butter to drip back into the pan. Place it cut-side-down over direct medium heat. With the lid open, grill the banana halves until golden brown and warm, 2-3 min., without turning. Retrun them to the pan.
- Using insulated mitts, move the pan to a work surface.
- Carefully peel the banana halves without breaking them apart.
- Cut each banana half crosswise or into 2 or 3 pieces.
- Scoop the sorbet into serving bowls.
- Arrange the banana pieces over or around the sorbet.
- Sprinkle the pistachios over the top.