Charro Beansby Samantha https://www.fivehearthome.com/slow-cooker-charro-beans/. Recipe amended for our preferences.
(Southwest, pressure cooker, beans)Instructions for Slow Cooker and pressure
Yield: 4 servings
½ lb bacon, cooked, drained and chopped.
1 lb dry pinto beans
3 C water
2 C beef broth
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp cumin
1 tsp garlic powder
1 (15-oz) can diced tomatoes
1 small can diced green chiles
1 C fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
red pepper or jalapeño sauce to taste
salt and pepper to taste
- Slow Cooker
- Clean and rinse the dried beans and place in slow cooker with water and beef broth.
- Cook bacon until just crispy. Drain, chop and add to slow cooker.
- Add all other ingredients except the cilantro to the cooker and cook on low for 7 hours.
- Stir in the chopped cilantro, cover and cook an additional hour until beans are tender.
- When beans are done check and adjust seasonings. Pressure Cooker
- add all ingredients except the cilantro to the pressure cooker. Cook at high pressure for 30 minutes. Allow cooker to depressure naturally.
- When pressure is down, remove cover and stir in the cilantro and cook uncovered an additionsl 30 minutes or so to cook cilantro and to evaporate any excess liquid remaining.