Drunken (Borracho) Beansby Melanie F., a Registered Dietitian http://www.nutritiouseats.com/instant-pot-borracho-beans/
(dried beans, pressure cookery, slow cooker, Mexican)Instructions for Instant Pot and Slow Cooker
Yield: 8 servings
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 40 min
Total Time: 50 min
2 tsp olive oil
1 lb pinto beans, rinsed and sorted (soaked overnight- optional*)
1 jalapeno, seeds removed and diced (or pickeled from jar)
1 bell pepper diced
1 small onion diced
2 large cloves garlic, diced (2 tsp)
5 slices thick cut bacon, chopped
1 tsp salt*
¼ tsp black pepper
1 tsp cumin
1 can/bottle Mexican beer (I used Dos Equis or whatever you have)
2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilis, including the juices*
The beans are get better with time and are great leftover.
*If you don't use low sodium chicken broth you might want to start with ½ teaspoon salt and increase after cooked, if needed.
*Unflavored tomatoes give more control over amount of spice in the dish. You can control that with the jalapenos or other chilies.
Instructions (Instant Pot)
- Clean and rinse beans. Soak over night or not (your choice.)
- Turn on Instant Pot to sauté setting and add oil. Wait til indicator says it is hot.
- Sauté bacon for 3 minutes or until it starts to get brown.
- Turn off the Instant Pot.
- Add seasoning (salt, pepper, cumin) and stir.
- Add beer, broth, diced tomatoes and beans. Cover with pressure lid, lock, adjust steam vent to seal. Select the Pressure Cook or Manual setting. Adjust time. If beans have been soaked set for 20 minutes. Set for 40 minutes for unsoaked beans.
- Let let the cooker release pressure naturally.
- Clean and rinse beans. Soak over night, or you can speed the soaking process by putting the beans in a large pot and submerge the beans in at least 2 inches of water. Bring to a boil, then let it sit for an hour before any further processing.
- In a large fry pan, sauté bacon for 3 minutes or until it starts to get brown.
- Add the jalapeno, onion and bell pepper, sauté for 2 more minutes. Add garlic and cook one more minute. Add seasoning (salt, pepper, cumin) and stir.
- Transfer the mixture to the slow cooker and set the heat to low.
- Add beer, broth, diced tomatoes and beans that have been soaked. Cover with and let it simmer for about 8 hours
- Remove cover, set the heat on high and let some of the liquid evaporate to thicken the juices on the beans.