Ultimate MeatballsTyler Florence
Yield: 4 servings
½ baguette, crust removed
1¼ C milk
1 lb ground beef sirloin
1 lb ground pork
½ bunch fresh parsley
½ bunch basil
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/3 C ground pinenuts
Sea salt and black pepper
½ C grated or shaved Parmesan
1 small pkg. fresh mozzarella balls
½ C EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 C dried bread crumbs
½ lb chanterelle muchrooms or 1 (6 oz) jar mushrooms
1 (2¼ oz) can sliced black olives
1 (15½ oz) can diced tomatoes
1 recipe Creamy Polenta
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Break baguette into pieces and soak in a bowl with milk for 10 min until bread is soft.
- In second bowl,mix the beef and pork. Twist half the parsley & basil into pile, roughly chop & add to meat.
- Squeeze milk out of bread and add it in small pieces. Add eggs, Parmesan, pinenuts, salt & pepper and mix thoroughly.
- Shape 6 meatballs. Poke hole in center and insert mozzarella ball and close. Roll in bread crumbs. Heat EVOO in large skillet. Fry meatballs to seal crust. Transfer to large oiled baking dish.
- Add a splash of oil to pan and fry the mushrooms at low heat until they start to caramelize, add tomatoes and olives. Simmer and reduce slightly, about 5 min.
- Pour mixture over meatballs. Drizzle with olive oil. Add salt and a few cranks of fresh cracked pepper and mix.
- Shred the remaining basil and parsley and the mozzarella over it. Drizzle with olive oil and add a few cranks of pepper.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Serve with Creamy Polenta.