Sour Cream Noodle BakeRee Drummond
(casserole, beef, noodles, sour cream, cottage cheese, cheddar)
Yield: 4 servings
1 ¼ pounds ground chuck
One 15-ounce can tomato sauce
½ teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper
8 ounces egg noodles
½ cup sour cream
1 ¼ cups small curd cottage cheese
Pinch red pepper flakes
½ cup sliced green onions (less to taste)
1 cup grated sharp Cheddar
Crusty French bread, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Brown the ground chuck in a large skillet. Drain the fat, and then add the tomato sauce, ½ teaspoon salt and plenty of freshly ground black pepper. Stir, and then simmer while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Cook the egg noodles until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the sour cream and cottage cheese. Add plenty of freshly ground black pepper and a pinch of red pepper flakes. Add to the noodles and stir. Add the green onions and stir.
- To assemble, add half of the noodles to a baking dish. Top with half the meat mixture, and then sprinkle on half the grated Cheddar. Repeat with noodles, meat and then a final layer of cheese. Bake until all the cheese is melted, about 20 minutes.
- Serve with crusty French bread.
- Assemble the Sour Cream Noodle Bake in a disposable aluminum oven-proof pan and seal the top of the container with the lid or heavy foil. Seal the edges to prevent freezer burn and place in the freezer.
- To cook from frozen: Place directly in a 375° F oven and bake, covered, for 45 minutes. Remove the lid and bake until lightly brown and bubbly, about 20 minutes more.