Salisbury Steak & Mushroom GravyRecipe Tin Eats: Nagi
Yield: 4 servings
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped (white, brown or yellow)
2 garlic cloves, minced
5oz mushrooms, sliced
1lb/500g ground beef / mince
½ cup panko breadcrumbs (or ? cup ordinary breadcrumbs)
2 tbsp ketchup
½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
3 tsp dijon mustard OR 2 tsp dry mustard powder
2 tbsp unsalted butter
3 tbsp plain flour
2 cups beef stock
1 cup water
2 tsp beef base (or 1 beef boulion cube crumbled)
2 tsp dijon mustard
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
Salt and pepper
- Heat the oil oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Add onion and garlic and cook for 2 minutes until onions are translucent. Remove half the onions into a large bowl.
- Add the mushrooms into the skillet and cook mushrooms for 2 minutes. Transfer into a medium bowl.
- Add the Salisbury Steak ingredients into the large bowl. Use your hands to mix until just combined - don't over mix.
- Divide into 5 and pat into oval patties around ¾" thick.
- If your skillet is looking dry, add a splash of oil. Heat over high heat, then add the steaks and cook the first side for 1 minute or until browned, then flip and brown the other side (they will still be raw inside).
- Take the skillet off the stove and transfer steaks onto a plate. Turn the heat down to medium low.
- Return skillet to the stove and add butter. Once melted, add flour and cook for 30 seconds.
- Whisk in remaining Gravy ingredients until smooth. Increase heat to medium then transfer the reserved onions and mushrooms into the gravy. Stir, then add the steaks into the gravy along with the juices on the plate.
- Cook for 7 minutes, or until gravy is thickened and steaks are just cooked through, stirring occasionally around the steaks. If the gravy thickens too quickly, add more water.
- Remove steaks onto a plate. Taste gravy and adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve salisbury steaks topped with the mushroom gravy with mashed potatoes and a fresh green salad.
Serving size: 335g Calories: 343 calories Fat: 15.2g Saturated fat: 6.0g Unsaturated fat: 9.2g Trans fat: 0g Carbohydrates: 17.3g Sugar: 4.2g Sodium: 891mg Fiber: 1.6g Protein: 33.4g Cholesterol: 126mg