Salisbury SteakSteve Gordon, Taste of Southern
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 45 min
1 lb ground round beef
½ tsp black pepper
1 tsp salt
½ tsp garlic powder
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
¼ C dry bread crumbs
2 Tbsp butter
1 large onion, sliced
2 Tbsp flour
2 C water
2 tsp beef base (or bouillon granules)
- In a mixing bowl, combine the Beef, Black Pepper, Salt, Garlic Powder, Worcestershire Sauce, Bread Crumbs and one whole Egg. Stir mixture together well.
- Shape into 4 equal sized patties.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat for about a minute, and then add Butter. Place meat patties in skillet and brown on both sides for about 4-5 minutes each. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Add the sliced Onion into the skillet, right on top of the browned bits. Reduce the heat and cook the onions on medium-low heat until the onions turn translucent and brown. Don't rush this step. Cook the onions low and slow for about 20-25 minutes.
- Sprinkle 2 Tablespoons of flour over the onions. Stir. Let cook and brown for about 2 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of warm Water. Stir well. Raise the heat back up to about medium.
- Add 2 teaspoons of Beef Base or Beef Bouillon Granules. Stir Well.
- Place the meat patties back in the pan. Cover. Reduce heat just a little and let simmer for about 15 more minutes. Remove from heat and serve warm.
You could certainly use a beef broth as opposed to the granules. Just omit adding the water and granules to the cooked onions and add beef broth instead.