Salisbury Steak with Brown GravySandra Lee, Food Network
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 25 min
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 ½ lb 80 percent lean ground beef
1 C fresh bread crumbs
1 Tbsp grill seasoning
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 large egg
½ pkg (8-ounce) sliced baby portobello mushrooms
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
¼ C all-purpose flour
2 (14-ounce) cans beef broth
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and saute until soft, about 6 minutes. Divide the onion in half and put in two bowls.
- In the larger bowl add the beef, bread crumbs, grill seasoning, Worcestershire sauce and the egg. Mix to combine everything well and form the mixture into 4 oval patties.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in the same skillet over medium-high heat.
- Cook the patties until they are well browned, about 4 to 5 minutes per side.
- Remove the steaks and pour off all but 2 tablespoons the fat. (The patties will not be cooked through and will finish cooking in the gravy.)
- Put the pan back on the heat, add the mushrooms, and cook for 5 minutes. Add the remaining onions, sprinkle in the flour, and cook for 2 minutes. Add the beef broth and bring it to a boil.
- Return the patties to the pan, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until the sauce has thickened and the steaks are cooked through, about 10 minutes.