Salisbury Steak with Mushroom GravySandra Lee
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 30 min
1 lb lean ground beef
1 (10-ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup, divided
½ C Italian bread crumbs
1 egg, lightly beaten
½ C chopped onions
1 tsp steak seasoning (recommended: Montreal)
1 Tbsp canola oil
2 Tbsp butter, divided
¼ C cognac
1 (8-ounce) package sliced fresh mushrooms
2 C low-sodium beef broth
1 (1.2-ounce) packet brown gravy mix
- In a large bowl, combine beef, ¼ can mushroom soup, bread crumbs, egg, onions, and steak seasoning. Mix thoroughly and shape into 4 oval patties.
- Heat oil and 1 Tbsp butter in large skillet over medium-high heat. Brown patties on both sides and transfer to a plate.
- Add remaining butter and cognac (remove pan from heat when adding cognac.) Saute mushrooms for 7 to 8 minutes.
- Add beef stock and whisk in gravy mix until smooth. Stir in remaining mushroom soup.
- Return patties to skillet and spoon gravy over top. Cover pan and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Serve Salisbury Steaks and Mushroom Gravy over hot cooked rice, mashed potatoes, or cooked pasta.