Cabbage & Potato BakePat Tyler
( bacon, cabbage, potatoes )Yield: 4 servings
½ cabbage, coarsly chopped
4 small red potatoes, diced
½ large onion, sliced lengthwise
6 slices lean bacon, diced
½ tsp kosher salt (to taste)
1 tsp black pepper (to taste)
2-3 tsp rice wine vinegar (to taste)
½ cup chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Remove dry and tough outer layers of onion, cut in half and slice lengthwise. Store the remaining onion for later use.
- Slice the cold 6 slices of bacon crosswise in ½-inch slices. Partially fry in heavy frying pan. Add the onion and salt and pepper and fry until the onion is soft. Add the vinegar to the pan drippings and mix.
- Rinse cabbage and remove tough outside leaves. Cut in half lengthwise and half one of the halves. Remove core. Shred the 2 quarter pieces of the head. Store the half for later use. Put the shredded cabbage in roasting pan.
- Wash potatoes removing any blemishes. Leave the skin intact and dice. Mix with the cabbage in the roasting pan.
- Distribute the bacon & onion mixture with pan drippings and vinegar over the vegetables in the roasting pan. Pour the chicken broth over this mixture.
- Tightly cover the roasting pan and bake for 1½ hours.
- Substitute Yukon Gold or peeled Russets for the potatoes.
- Substitute sausage for the bacon.
- Substitute wine for the vinegar.
- Substitute tomato juice for the chicken broth and add diced tomatoes.
- Add sliced bell peppers to the vegetable mix.
- Add diced green chilies to spice it up a bit.