World's Best Carrot CakeBrenda Tyler
(cakes, whole wheat flour, carrots, pineapple, pecans, coconut, cranberries, frosting )
Yield: 1 3-layer cake or 1 large bundt cake
1 Recipe: Cream Cheese Frosting
1½ C whole whear flour
2/3 C all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp salt
½ tsp ground nutmeg
¼ tsp ground ginger
1 C sugar
1 C brown sugar, packed firmly
1 C buttermilk
¾ C vegetable oil
1½ tsp almond extract
1 16-oz bag carrots, peeled and grated
1 8-oz can crushed pineapple, drained
1 C pecans or walnuts, chopped
1 C flaked coconut
½ C craisons (dried cranberries)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sift together the flours, baking sode, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, and ginger onto a sheet of wax paper.
- Mix the sugars together in a large bowl.
- Stir in the buttermilk, vegetable oil, eggs, and almond extract.
- Pour in the flour mixture, carrots, pineapple, nuts, coconut, and craisons, stirring just until well blended.
- Grease and flour three 9-inch round cake pans (or 1 large bundt pan). Line bottoms with wax paper; grease and flour the waxed paper.
- Pour the batter into cake pans. Bake 30 minutes or until a wooden toothpic inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans 10 minutes.
- Loosen the cake layers from the edges of the pans and invert onto wire racks.
- Peel off the waxed paper and cool completely
- Prepare 1 recipe of Cream Cheese Frosting.
- Spread frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake. Cover and refrigerate over night before cutting.