Cheesy Bacon & Egg CasseroleStar-Telegram
(Cheese, eggs, bacon, brunch, casserole )
Yield: 12 servings
8 slices bacon
1 med. onion chopped, (1 cup)
1 8-oz loaf Italian bread, cubed
2 C shredded cheddar cheese
1 C shredded mozzarella cheese
1 C cottage cheese
1½ C milk
(If preparing the night before: ½ C additional milk)
2 tsp ground mustard
1tsp ground black pepper
½ tsp ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Cook bacon in large skillet until crisp. Drain, crumble and set aside. Remove all but 2 Tbsp drippings from skillet.
- Add onion to skillet; cook and stir 3 min or until softened.
- Spread ½ bread cubes in 13 X 9-inch baking dish. Layer with ½ each of the onion, bacon, cheddar and mozarella cheeses. Spread evenly with cottage cheese. Top with remaining bread cubes, onion, bacon, cheddar and mozzarella.
- Beat eggs in medium bowl. Add milk, mustard, pepper, and nutmeg; mix well. Gradually pour over other ingredients in baking dish. Press bread cubes lightly into egg mixture until completely covered. Let stand 10 min.
- Bake 40-50 min. or until center is set and top is golden brown