Mexican Enchilada Suiza LasagnaEmeril Lagassi
(chicken, chicken stock, tortillas, peppers, cheese, casseroles, Mexican )
Yield: 6 servings
6 Tbsp Butter
6 Tbsp flour
3½ C milk
1½ C chicken stock
½ lb shredded pepper jack cheese
½ tsp salt
9 tsp vegetable oil
4 C cooked cubed skinless chicken breasts (2 lb)
2 tsp Emeril's Southwest Essence
6 poblano peppers, roasted, peeled, seeded & diced
1 C chopped green onions
3 C shredded Monterey Jack cheese
2 C shredded Mexican (4 cheese combination) Optional
1 C chopped fresh tomatoes
2 Tbsp chopped cilantro leaves
4 oz Queso Anejo, shredded or Parmesan if unavailable
1 C sour cream
Salsa or Pico de Gallo
- Melt butter in medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Whisk in the milk a little at a time until thoroughly combined. Add chicken stock and bring sauce to boil. Reduce heat to simmer. Cook until thickened and flavorful, about 10 min. Add the pepper jack and stir until melted. Season with salt, remove from heat, cover and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease 9"X13" casserole dish.
- Spoon 1 cup of sauce into the bottom on the casserole dish.
- Top with 6 tortillas, spreading to form a complete layer. Top with ½ the chicken, 1 tsp Essence, half of the poblanos, half the onions, 1½ cups sauce, and 1/3 of the shredded Monterey Jack. Make another layer in exactly the same way.
- Top with the remaining tortillas, remaining sauce, tomatoes, cilantro, remaining Monterey Jack, and the Mexican cheese if using. Sprinkle the Queso Anejo evenly over the top.
- Cover with foil and bake 45 min. Remove foil and continue baking 15 min.