Leftover Chicken CroquettesAllrecipes.com, Jeanne Gold
Add your favorite herbs and vegetables to this basic recipe.
Yield: 4 servings
3 cups cooked, finely chopped chicken meat
1 ½ cups seasoned dry bread crumbs
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 cups sauteed chopped onion
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a large bowl combine the chicken, bread crumbs, 2 eggs and onion and mix well; if mixture is too dry to form patties, mix in another lightly beaten egg. Then add parsley, salt and pepper to taste, mix well and form into small patties.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat and fry patties in oil until golden brown.
These are suggestions from recipe reviewers of the recipe.
- Sauté the onion, Add and sauté the following: 2 large cloves crushed garlic, 1 large sweet red pepper. To the mixture add 1 Tbsp basil, 1 tsp cilantro, ⅓ C grated Parmesan cheese, 1-2 tsp habenaro hot sauce, 1-2 Tbsp Worchestershire sauce. Adjust seasonings before adding the eggs, and use 3 eggs instead of two. Bake 12 minutes @ 350°F.
- Enhance flavor with ½ tsp garlic powder, pinch of celery seed, and a dash or two of cayenne pepper to chicken mixture. To add moisture, decrease the breadcrumbs by ½ cup and make a roux by melting ½ C butter whisking in ½ C flour, ½ C milk and ½ chicken broth. Mix the roux mixture on low head until thick and smooth. Let cool and add to the chicken mixture. Cover and refrigerate two hours before forming the patties. Brown on both sides.
- Sauté the onion. Process onions and chicken in food processor. Use savory herb stuffing in place of the bread crumbs. Add Parmesan cheese, oregano, basil, and garlic powder and a little chicken stock. Mix ingredients except for the egg. Taste and adjust seasoning, then add the eggs. Bake @ 350° about 20 min.