Chicken Chili - Slow Cookerby Diana Rattray The Spruce
(chicken, slow cooker, Mexican, potluck)
Yield: 8 cups (8 servings)
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 4 hrs
2 lb boneless chicken (about 4 large breasts)
1 C onion, chopped
½ green pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced or (1 tsp garlic powder or granulated)
1 15-oz can great northern beans, rinsed and drained
1 15-oz can great pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 14.5-oz can diced tomatoes
1 8-oz can tomato sauce
1½ C corn kernels, frozen & thawed
1 heaping Tbsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
1½ tsp kosher salt
½ tsp black pepper
1 bay leaf
sour cream, shredded cheese, chopped fresh cilantro
- Dice the chicken or cut it into strips. Put the chicken pieces in the slow cooker along with the onion, bell pepper, garlic, drained and rinsed beans, tomatoes and tomato sauce, corn, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt, pepper and bay leaf. Stir to blend ingredients.
- Cover and cook on high for 1 hour, then cook on low for 3 to 4 hours longer, or until the chicken is cooked and tender. Or cook on high for 3 to 4 hours.
- Remove the bay leaf.
- Spoon the chili into bowls and garnish with sour cream or shredded cheese, along with chopped fresh cilantro, if desired.
- Serve with cornbread, crackers, or crusty bread.
- Other vegetables that may be added include sliced summer squash or zucchini, shredded or julienne-cut carrots, and sliced celery.
- For a little heat, add a few tablespoons of minced jalapeno pepper or serrano. Or add some crushed red pepper flakes.
- Use different varieties of canned beans, or use cooked dried beans instead. See crock pot great northern beans.
- Use part or all boneless chicken thighs in the recipe. Chicken thighs stay tender and juicy in the slow cooker, so they're especially good in this recipe if you will be cooking it longer than the recommended times.