Mexican Pulled Chickenby Martha @ www.afamilyfeast.com
(chicken, Mexican)Use the pulled chicken to make your favorite chicken tacos, enchiladas, or other TexMex recipe.
Yield: 4 pounds
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 3 hrs
Total Time: 3 hrs 15 min
1 sweet red pepper, stemmed, seeded, cut into large rings
1 large onion, trimmed and cut into large rings
2 lbs boneless chicken breast halves, trimmed
2 lbs boneless chicken thighs, trimmed
4 Tbsp cider vinegar
2 14.5-oz cans diced tomatoes
4 Tbsp tomato paste
4 Tbsp agave nectar
2 Tbsp whole grain mustard
2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp hot sauce
1 Tbsp dried oregano
1 Tbsp coriander
2 Tbsp of your favorite hot sauce
- Preheat oven to 275°.
- Spray a pan or glass baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and lay pepper and onion rings on the bottom.
- Lay chicken over onions and peppers.
- In a medium sauce pan, place all other ingredients and heat to a boil. Stir to combine ingredients and remove from heat.
- Pour the tomato mixture over the chicken. Cover with parchment paper then foil. (The parchment paper will prevent the tomato acids from reacting with the foil.)
- Place in oven for three hours.
- Remove the pan from oven and peel off parchment paper and foil.
- Place chicken on a cutting board and shred with two forks.
- Pour remaining mixture from baking dish into a strainer and strain out most of the liquid then place back into baking dish.
- Place pulled chicken meat back in with tomato mixture in baking dish and mix to combine.
A quick way through this recipe is to use rotisserie chicken from the grocery store.