Instant Pot Chocolate Flan Cakeby Linda Terrell Granbury NOW January 2019, page 20
(Timber Cove, Pressure Cookery, Cake, chocolate )
Yield: 4 servings
1 tsp. butter
3 Tbsp. caramel sauce
½ C half-and-half
1 14-oz. can sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 Tbsp. cream cheese
1 large egg, plus one egg yolk
½ C all-purpose flour
¼ C cocoa powder
½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
¼ C butter, melted
½ C granulated sugar
1 large egg
⅓ C half-and-half
½ tsp. white vinega
1 cup water
Whipped cream, for serving
- . Prepare a 7-inch metal Bundt pan by coating the interior of the pan very well with butter, using your hands/fingers to get the butter into all the grooves of the pan. Pour 3 Tbsp. of the caramel sauce into the bottom of the pan. (If the carmel sauce is too thick, microwave it for 5 to 10 seconds so that it's pourable.)
- . For flan: Prepare the flan mixture by placing half-and-half, sweetened condensed milk, vanilla extract and cream cheese into your blender. Blend on medium until it looks blended and there are no cream cheese pieces floating around; it usually takes 30-60 seconds. Add 1 large egg, plus 1 egg yolk; blend on low, just until the eggs are blended in and the mixture looks smooth. Set aside
- For cake: Add all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda into a bowl; whisk well. Set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, add melted butter, sugar, egg, half-and-half and white vinegar. Stir well with a whisk until the mixture looks smooth. Add the flour/cocoa mixture; stir until just combined
- Pour the chocolate cake batter into the pan; use a spoon to even it out. Slowly pour the flan mixture on top of the cake batter. Donít worry if it looks like some of the cake batter got into the flan. Cover the top of the pan well with a piece of foil.
- Place water into the Instant Pot; put in the trivet. Carefully place the Bundt pan on top of the trivet and seal the lid. Turn the steam vent to seal, and set the Instant Pot on manual for 22 minutes. Natural pressure release for 10 minutes, then carefully remove the Bundt pan from the Instant Pot.
- Remove the foil; let it cool on the counter for about 45 minutes. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream.