Thyra Tyler's Raw Cranberry SaladThyra Tyler/Pat Tyler
(Christmas, Thyra's, salad, cranberries, apples, oranges, pecans, Jello)
Yield: about 2 quarts
1 qt fresh cranberries (2 12-oz pkg will do)
2 oranges (navel)
2 crispy, tart apples (Granny Smith, gala, fuji)
2 C sugar
chopped pecans (preferably roasted)
1 (3 oz) pkg cherry Jello
1 (3 oz) pkg strawberry Jello
2 C boiling water
- Disolve jello and sugar with boiling water.
- Grind the fruit and nuts.
- Roast pecans if necessary. Here's how.
- In a large bowl, disolve Jello and sugar in boiling water. Chill until it begins to set. Meanwhile...
- Wash cranberries and discard any that are discolored. Lightly process in food processor.
- Zest then peel the oranges and lightly process. Add the zest to the processed fruit.
- Remove apple cores. (Optional: Peel the apples.) Lightly process.
- Add the fruit and nuts to the partially set Jello, stir and chill. If fruit floats, remix before the Jello has fully set.