Egg Drop Soupby Ali, https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/egg-drop-soup/
(eggs, Asian, soup)
Yield: 6 Cups
Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 10 min
Total Time: 15 min
4 C good-quality chicken or vegetable stock
2 Tbsp cornstarch
1 tsp ground ginger
¼ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp toasted sesame oil
3 green onions, thinly sliced, plus extra for garnish
(optional) ¼ C whole-kernel corn or creamed corn
fine sea salt and freshly-cracked black pepper, to taste
- Whisk together stock (chilled or room-temperature), cornstarch, ginger and garlic powder in a medium sauce pan until smooth. Heat over high heat until the stock comes to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the eggs and egg whites in a small measuring cup or bowl. (I find the measuring cup easier for pouring.)
- Once the broth reaches a simmer, use a fork or a whisk to stir the broth in a circular motion, creating a “whirlpool.” Then slowly pour the whisked eggs into the soup as you continue stirring, in order to create long egg ribbons.
- Remove pan from heat. Stir in the sesame oil, green onions and corn (optional) until combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste, also adding a dash or two of more sesame oil if needed.
- Serve immediately, sprinkled with additional green onions.