Fried Fish TacosNettie Lopez, Central Market
(Mexican, Central Market, fish, tortillas, cabbage, limes)
Yield: 12-16 tacos
1 C dark beer
1 C all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
Taco & Filling
1½ lb boned, skinned firm, white-fleshed fish (e.g. tilapia)
12-16 corn tortillas, warmed
Cabbage and Cilantro Slaw
Chipotle Tartar Sauce
- In a bowl, whisk beer, flour and salt until well blended.
- Rinse fish and pat dry; cut crosswise into 1-inch-wide strips.
- Pour about 1 inch of oil into 10 to 12-inch nonstick frying pan (with at least 2-in tall sides).
- Over medium-high heat bring oil to 360°.
- With a fork, dip each piece of fish into beer batter; lift out and let drain briefly. Slide fish into oil, a few pieces at a time, cook until golden turning if necessary to brown on all sides, 2-4 min. per batch. With slotted spoon, transfer to a paper towel-lined baking sheet.
- Keep warm in a 200° oven while frying remaining fish.
- To assemble each taco, stack two tortillas and top with a couple of pieces of fish, then a spoonful of Cabbage and Cilantro Slaw.
- Serve with the Chipotle Tartar Sauce and lime wedges to squeeze over top.