Fish StockLee Elsesser, Central Market
(Central Market, fish)
Yield: 3 quarts
2-4 lb fish bones, heads, fins, skin, etc.
½ stick (4 Tbsp ) butter
1 lb carrots
1 bunch celery
3 cloves garlic
2 C dry white wine
1 bay leaf
2 Tbsp black peppercorns
- Rinse fish bones and remove any pieces of gill, intestine, or unwanted skin.
- Put fish and butter in stockpot over medium heat, stir, cover and sweat.
- Rinse celery and carrots and chop into quarters. Quarter onions and garlic unpeeled.
- When When fish bones have started to soften and fish has begun to cook in its own juices, add the vegetables and stir. Add wine, bay leaf and peppercorns and bring to a simmer.
- Add water and return to a simmer. Do not boil. Simmer no more than 1 hour. Add water or wine if needed to keep solids covered.
- Strain off liquid.
- Use immediately or refrigerate or freeze in conveniently sized and shaped containers.