Vegetable LasagnaCentral Market
(Central Market, cheese, eggplant, carrots, celery, fennel, onions, peppers, potatoes, squash, tomatoes, pasta)
Yield: 6-8 servings
1 1-lb eggplant, chopped
Salt to taste
½ onion, finely chopped
½ C finely chopped celery
½ C finely chopped carrots
½ C chopped fennel
3 Tbsp olive oil (EVOO)
1 lb russet potatoes, peeled & chopped
2 red bell peppers, chopped
2 zucchini, chopped
1 C chopped Roma tomatoes
¼ to ½ C chicken broth
Black pepper to taste
15 lasagna noodles, cooked
½ C chopped fresh herbs
1 large egg, beaten
4 ½ C ricotta cheese
- Toss the eggplant with a generous amount of salt in a colander set in large bowl. Let stand 30 min; rinse and drain.
- Sauté onion, celery, carrots, and fennel in olive oil in a large, heavy pan over medium-high heat until onion is translucent. Add eggplant, potatoes, red peppers, zucchini, tomatoes, and ½ C broth and mix well.
- Season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat and cook covered 10 min or until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally and adding additional broth if needed; drain.
- Combine 1 large beaten egg, ricotta cheese, and herbs in large bowl and mix well. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook lasagna noodles using package directions; drain.
- Layer 5 noodles in an oiled 9" X 13" baking dish, overlapping slightly. Layer 1/3 of the vegetables, 1/3 of the ricotta cheese mixture and ½ C Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese over noodles. Repeat the layering two more times with the remaining noodles, vegetables, ricotta cheese and additional Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese. Place a baking sheet on the bottom rack of the oven. Place the lasagna on the middle rack and bake at 375° for 30 min or until the cheeses have melted and the dish is heated through. Let stand 10 min before serving.