Fettuccine with Tomato-Poblano Sauce and Green Chili Boursin CheeseNational Pasta Assn.
(fettuccine, peppers, onion, tomatoes, cheese)
Yield: 4 servings
12 oz Fettuccine, uncooked
2 poblano chiles, or 2 green bell peppers and one jalapeño
1 tbsp olive oil
1 small red onion, finely diced
2 tsp minced garlic
1/3 C dry red wine
1 15-oz Can plum tomatoes, with liquid, coarsely chopped
2 Tbsp thinly sliced fresh basil
½ tsp sugar
Salt & pepper to taste
1 8-oz package plain Boursin cheese
- Roast peppers directly over gas jet or under pre-headed broiler, turning with tongs until blackened on all sides. Transfer to a bown and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Let stand until cool.
- Cut the peppers in half lengthwise and remove stem and seeds. Scrape off blackened skin. Cut the peppers into ½-in cubes.
- Heat oil in medium saucepan, add onion and garlic. Cook stirring until the onion is softened, about 3 min. Add wine, increase heat and boil until the wine is reduced to 1 Tbsp. Add tomatoes and 2/3 peppers, heat to boiling. Reduce to simmer and cook until the tomatoes are very tender, about 20 min. Stir to break up tomato pieces. Add basil, sugar, salt & pepper to taste.
- Combine Boursin and remaining peppers in food processor or blender. Process until peppers are finely chopped & cheese creamy.
- Prepare pasta according to package directions. Drain, add tomato sauce and half cheese mixture. Cook over med heat until cheese is melted and pasta coated with sauce.