Double-Cheese MacaroniTaste of home.com
(pasta, cottage cheese, cream, cheddar, sausage)
Yield: 4 servings
1 16-oz pkg elbow macaroni
3 C 4% cottage cheese
½ C unsalted butter, cubed
½ C all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
½ tsp white pepper
1 clove minced garlic
3 C half-and-half cream
1 C 2% milk
4 C shredded cheddar cheese
Option: 1 pkg hot sausage, cooked
1 C dry bread crumbs
¼ C butter, melted
- Cook macaroni according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, place cottage cheese in a food processor. Process until smooth. Set aside.
- White sauce: In large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour, salt, pepper and garlic until smooth. Gradually add cream and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Drain macaroni; transfer to a large bowl. Add cheeses, white sauce, and sausage (if using); toss to coat.
- Transfer to a greased 13" X 9" baking dish. (Use slightly larger dish if using sausage.)
- Combine bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle over the top. Bake uncovered at 400° for 20-25 min or until bubbly.