Penne with Fresh Tomatoes, Basil, and Mozzarellaby Emeril Lagasse, Food Network
(penne pasta, Italian, basil, tomatoes and mozzarella)
Yield: 4 - 6 servings
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 20 min
Total Time: 35 min
¼ C extra-virgin olive oil, plux 2 Tbsp, divided
1½ Tbsp garlic, chopped
5 C fresh tomatoes, chopped (peeled if desired)
1 lb penne pasta
½ shredded basil
freshly ground black pepper
¾ lb fresh salted mozzarella, sliced or cubed
½ C grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Put a large pot of salted water on for the pasta.
- In a large skillet, heat ¼ cup of the olive oil. Add the garlic and cook until just fragrant, about 1 minute or less.
- Add the tomatoes and cook them for 3 to 5 minutes, just until they begin to release some of their juice.
- Cook the pasta in the salted boiling water 12 - 13 min until al dente. Drain. Add the pasta and basil to the pan with the tomatoes and toss. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve the pasta in bowls. Equally distribute the fresh mozzarella and grated Parmesan among the bowls. Drizzle the remaining olive oil over the bowls and serve immediately.