Peperonata (a.k.a. Pepper & Tomato Stir Fry)Pat Tyler
(peppers, onions, tomatoes )
Yield: 4 servings
1 large yellow bell pepper, seeded and cut into ¼-inch strips
1 large red bell pepper, seeded and cut into ¼-inch strips
1 sweet onion, peeled and sliced
1 container of grape tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
Substitution: 1 or 2 peeled and diced medium tomatoes
1 clove of garlic, peeled and smashed or minced
¼ C olive oil or less for stir fry
1 lemon, juiced and zested
Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- Put enough olive oil in wok to cover the bottom, heat on high heat.
- Add sliced onion and garlic to heated oil in the wok, cook and stir until onion is translucent.
- Add sliced peppers and cook until heated, stirring constantly.
- Add tomatoes lemon zest and a splash of lemon juice.
- Continue to cook the mixture stirring constantly. Salt and pepper to taste. Add oil and/or lemon juice as needed.
- Juices from the vegetables and the seasonings and oil will combine to make a delightful sauce. Do not over cook. The peppers should be crisp tender.
- Serve immediately.