Orange Pastry for PiesLee Elsesser
(Central Market, pie, orange)
Yield: 1 9-Inch Pie Crust
Pairs with Lee Elsesser's Mango-Pineapple-Strawberry Pie
1 ½ C All-purpose flour
1 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp orange zest
½ tsp salt
½ C shortening
¼ C orange juice, chilled
- Combine flour, sugar, orange zest and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse meal. Sprinkle orange juice, 1 tablespoon at a time, evenly over the dry ingredients, stirring with a fork, until they are moistened just envough to hold together.
- Shape the mixture into a ball and chill.
- Roll chilled pastry to 1/8-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface. Place the pastry in a 9-inch pie pan and trim edges. Prick pastry bottom with a fork.
- Bake at 450° for 10-12 minutes or until pastry is lightly browned.
- Cover edges of the pastry with strips of aluminum foil to prevent excessive browning.