Cheesy Potato and Apple TartsStar-Telegram
Yield: 12 servings
1¼ C water
3 Tbsp butter, divided
½ tsp salt
⅔ C milk
1 ⅓ C Hungry Jack Mashed Potato Flakes (*see note)
1 C shredded smoked Gouda or Jack cheese
1 box (14 oz) refrigerated pie crust @ room temp.
1 red apple (Gala or Fuji), thinnly sliced
1 tsp brown sugar
2 tsp chopped chives
*Note: 1 C mashed potatoes may be substituted for the water, potato flakes, and 2 Tbsp. butter.
- Preheat oven: 400°. Heat water, 2 Tbsp. butter and salt to boiling in medium pot. Remove from heat, stir in milk and potato flakes until smooth.
- Add cheese to potato mixture and stir until melted.
- Cut pie crusts into 24 clicles about 2½-inches in diameter. Using mini-muffin tin (cup-sizes 1¾ by 1 inch), place one pastry circle into each of 24 muffin cups, pressing slightly. Spoon about 1 Tbsp potato-cheese filling into each cup.
- Bake until pastry edges are golden brown, about 12 - 14 min.
- In small pas, melt remaining Tbsp butter. Add apple slices and saute until just tender, about 4 min. Stir in brown subar and cook 1 min.
- When apple slices are cooled enough to handle, place a slice into each cup at an angle, trimming to fit if necessary. Sprinkle with chopped chives and serve.