Grilled Sweet Potatoes and Cherry SalsaThe First Mess.com
Yield: 4 servings
Ingredients for Sweet Potatoes
3 small-medium sweet potatoes, scrubbed and wedged
1.5 Tbsp grapeseed or olive oil
zest and juice on 1 lime
1 tsp ground cumin
½ tsp chipotle powder (to taste)
pinch of chili flakes
salt and pepper
Ingredients for Cherry Salsa
1 C + sweet black cherries, destemmed & pitter
3 green onions, thinly sliced
1 inch of ginger, peeled and grated on a rasp zester
Zest and juice of 1 lime
- Steam potato wedges: Place a large pot with about 2 inches of water on medium heat. Bring to a simmer and place cut sweet potatoes onto a steamer basket. Lower steamer basket into the pot, put a lid on top and steam the sweet potatoes for 5-7 minutes or until just tender. Remove wedges with a pair of tongs, placing into a large tupperware container.
- Marinate potato wedges: Cover the cooked sweet potatoes with the grapeseed oil, lime zest, lime juice, ground cumin, chipotle, chili flakes, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Make the cherry salsa: chop the pitted cherries roughly and place in a medium bowl. Add the sliced green onions, grated ginger, lime zest, lime juice and black pepper. Stir to combine and set aside.
- Grill Potatoes: Heat a your grill or grill pan to medium-high. Place marinated wedges, cut side down (as opposed to peel-side down) on the grill. Flip wedges after about 2-3 minutes. Cook other side for another 2 minutes and remove sweet potatoes from the grill.
- To serve: Place wedges face up on a plate, season with salt if you like and cover with the cherry salsa.