Pumpkin Soup with Chili Cran-Apple Relishby Rachael Ray, Food Network
(appetizer, soup, pumpkin)
Yield: 8 first cource or 4 entree servings
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 25 min
1 Tbsp EVOO, (1 turn of pan)
2 Tbsp butter
1 fresh bay leaf
2 ribs celery with greens, finely chopped
1 med yellow onion, finely chopped
Salt & Pepper
3 Tbsp flour
2 tsp poulty seasoning or ground thyme
2 tsp hot sauce (or to taste)
6 C chicken stock
1 28-oz can cooked pumpkin puree
2 C heavy Cream
½ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1 crisp apple
¼ red onion, finely chopped
2Tbsp lemon juice
½ C dried sweetened cranberries, chopped
1 tsp chili powder
½ tsp ground cinnamon
- Heat a medium soup pot over medium to medium high heat. Add the oil and melt the butter.
- Add bay, celery, and onion. Season the veggies with salt and pepper. Cook 6 or 7 minutes, until tender.
- Add flour, poultry seasoning and hot sauce, to taste, then cook flour a minute.
- Whisk in chicken stock and bring liquid to a bubble.
- Whisk in pumpkin in large spoonfuls to incorporate it into the broth. Simmer soup 10 minutes to thicken a bit then add in cream and nutmeg.
- Reduce heat to low and keep warm until ready to serve.
- While soup cooks, assemble the relish: combine apple, onion, lemon juice, cranberries, chili powder, honey and cinnamon.
- Adjust seasonings in soup and relish and serve soup in shallow bowls with a few spoonfuls of relish.