Greek SaladGuzaria is Greek tapas: many little dishes that can be snacked on for a fulfilling meal. Old Athens would gather at small bars at the end of a hard day to find community members, discuss the day, and share food and drink at a leisurely pace over the course of the evening. Ouzo and cold beer are the suggested beverages with your Guzaria menu. Guzaria Menu: Greek Salad, Grilled Pita Bread, Greek Meatballs in Wine Sauce, Baked Gigantes Beans and Grilled Shrimp. Rachael Ray, Food Network
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 2 min
3 vine ripe tomatoes, cut into chunks
1 red onion, thinly sliced
½ European seedless cucumber, cut into bite-size chunks
1 small red bell pepper, seeded and chunked
1 small green bell pepper, seeded and chunked
1 cubanelle pepper, seeded and chunked
1 C Kalamata black olives
Several sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley, about ½ cup
2 (¼ pound) slices imported Greek feta
¼ C (a couple of glugs) extra-virgin olive oil
3 Tbsp (3 splashes) red wine vinegar
1 tsp dried oregano, crushed in palm of your hand
Coarse salt and black pepper
- Combine vegetables, olives, and parsley in a large bowl.
- Rest sliced feta on the top of salad.
- Combine oil, vinegar, and oregano in a small plastic container with a lid. Shake vigorously to combine oil and vinegar and pour over salad and cheese.
- Season with salt and pepper and let the salad marinate until ready to serve.
- Serve salad with pita bread blistered and warmed on a hot griddle or grill pan.