Salmon CakesMelissa d'Arabian, Food Network
Yield: 4 servings
2 strips bacon, cooked until crispy, crumbled, fat reserved
¼ C chopped onion
½ C mayonaise
2 tsp Dijon mustard
½ tsp sugar
½ lemon, zested
1 (14-oz) can wild salmon, checked for large bones
1 baked or boiled russet potato, peeled, and fluffed
2 Tbsp Grated Parmesan
Freshly ground black pepper
½ C olive oil
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the reserved bacon fat in a small saute pan over low heat. Add the onions and cook until translucent. Cool the onions for a bit.
- Mix the bacon, onion, egg, mayonnaise, mustard, sugar, and lemon zest in a bowl.
- Add the salmon and potato, mixing gently after each addition.
- Form the mixture into 12 small patties.
- In a shallow dish, combine the bread crumbs, Parmesan, and pepper, to taste. Coat the patties in the bread crumb topping.
- Heat 1/4 cup of the oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat, and cook the salmon cakes in batches until golden, about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Add more oil, as necessary.
- Arrange on a serving platter and serve.