Bratwurst Cooked in Beer with Smothered CabbageAdapted from Emeril Lagassi
(German, sausage, bacon, beer, cabbage, onion )
Yield: 4 servings
4 links fresh bratwurst
3 12-oz cans beer
4 oz bacon, chopped
1 C julienned onions Salt & Freshly ground black pepper
1 small head of cabbage, shredded
1 Tbsp chopped garlic
¼ C whole-grain mustard
4 egg hot-dog buns
4 C Potato Salad
Olive Oil for sautéing
- Place 1½-cans beer in saucepan, over medium heat. Bring liquid to a boil. Add sausages and cook for 10 min. Remove sausages and set aside. Discard fat-filled liquid.
- In large saute pan over medium heat, render the bacon until crispy, about 6-8 min. Remove bacon and set aside. Discard bacon fat.
- Place 2 Tbsp olive oil to sauté pan and add the onions. Season with black pepper.Sauté 2-3 min. until tender.
- Add the cabbage. Season with salt and pepper. Contunue to sauté for 4 min or until cabbage is tender.
- Stir in garlic, mustard and remainder of beer. Bring liquid to simmer and cook for 8-10 min stirring occasionally. Reseason with salt and pepper.
- Place sausages on the grill and cook 2 min on each side.
- To serve: Place sausages in each bun. Top each sausage with some of the smothered cabbage. Serve with potato salad.