Sausage & Cabbage
Yield: 6 servings
3 Tbsp butter, or margarine or bacon fat
1 small green cabbage, chopped
½ C onion, chopped
¾ lb smoked sausage, sliced
1 15-oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
¼ tsp garlic powder (to taste)
¼ tsp Tony Chachere's Seasoning (to taste)
salt (to taste)
black pepper (to taste)
- Chop/slice the sausage, cabbage, and onion.
- In a large non-stick skillet, pre-cook the sliced sausage about 3 minutes to draw some of the fat out. Remove sausage from skillet and drain on paper towels if needed. Set aside. Wipe the skillet clean.
- In the same skillet, melt the butter (or margarine or bacon fat). Add cabbage and onion and cook on medium-high for about 5 minutes stirring til cabbage starts to wilt.
- Add remaining ingredients, and the sausage.
- Cover the skillet and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Uncover, and finish cooking until cabbage has desired tenderness and most of liquid has been reduced.
- Serve hot.