Oktoberwurst and Sauerkrautby Hallmark Channel, Home & Family Show
Yield: 4 + servings
4 strips smoked bacon, coarsley chopped
1 large white onion, sliced (about 2 cups)
2 tsp toasted caraway seeds
1 C chicken stock
1 C Weissbier (light wheat beer)
¼ whole grain mustard
2 C sauerkraut, drained
2 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
2-3 Tbsp all purpose flour for thickening
Instructions for Sauerkraut
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, cook chopped bacon until dark brown and crisp. Use a slotted spoon to remove bacon to a paper towel to drain.
- Add onions to pan and raise heat to high. Stir onions after 1 minute and add caraway seeds. continue to cook onions for 2 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Lower heat to medium-high and sprinkle flour over onions and stir to dissolve flour.
- Add stock and beer, slowly add first and stirring constantly to avoid lumps. Add mustard and sauerkraut. Bring to a simmer. Mixture will thicken. Simmer mixture for 15 minutes or until thickened up to an hour.
- Top with crumbled bacon and fresh parsley.
- Grill your favorite bratwurst.
- Place it in a bun (we love Kings Hawaiian rolls, buttered and split).
- Top with aioli (mix together some mayo and whole grain mustard).
- Top with caramelized onions.
- Top with chopped scallions.