Shrimp SatayLee Elsesser, Central Market
(Thai, Central Market, shrimp )
Yield: 6 - 8 servings
1 lb 21-25 count shelled shrimp, tails on
1 clove garlic, pressed
1 pinch salt
¼ tsp sambal oeleck
2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp lime juice
1 tsp molasses
Wood skewers for grilling
Peanut Sauce for dipping
- Heat grill on high. In a non-reactive bowl large enough to hold the shrimp, mix the garlic and salt, and with a pestle or spoon, crush to make a paste. Add the sambal, soy sauce, lemon juice, and molasses and stir to mix well. Remove 1 tablespoon of sauce and set aside.
- Add the shrimp, toss to coat and let marinate for 20 minutes.
- Skewer the shrimp and grill for about 2 min per side .
- Baste with the used marinade, if desired, during cooking.
- When shrimp are done, and still very hot, baste lightly with the reserved marinade. (Do not baste with used marinade after cooking.)
- Serve with a dipping sauce, peanut is traditional.