Shrimp & Calamari SaladLars Leicht, Central Market
(Central Market, shrimp, calamari )
Yield: 6 servings
1 lb medium shrimp, shelled
1 lb calamari, cleaned
Salt & pepper
4 Tbsp white balsamic vinegar
2½ C chicken, vegetable, or shrimp stock
¼ tsp thyme or 4-5 sprigs fresh thyme
1 bay leaf
6-8 black peppercorns
3 stalks celery
1 fennel bulb
3 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 Clementine or Mandarin Orange, peeled and sectioned
½ slivered blanched almonds, lightly toasted
1 tsp dried oregano
- Marinate the shrimp and calamari in separate bowls with salt, pepper, paprika, 2 Tbsp EVOO and 1 Tbsp white balsamic vinegar.
- Grill the shrimp and calamari separately in a grilling basket over a high flame, shaking or stirring constantly until the shrimp is pink and both are nicely browned on the outside, about 2 minutes. Do not crowd the basket, so grill in batches if necessary. Alternatively, place the seafood on a tray in the top rack of the oven, and broil for 3 to 5 minutes. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, combine broth, thyme, bay leaf, vinegar, shrimp shells (if desired) and peppercorns. Bring to a boil. Let the stock boil 5 min. then strain. Return to saucepan, bring the liquid back to a boil and add the shrimp. Turn the flame off and let them sit in the hit stock for five min. before straining them out. Reserve broth for another use.
- Thinly slice the celery and fennel, and dress with lemon juice, remaining olive oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, and paprika. Combine with orange sections and toasted almonds.
- Stin in the shrimp and calamari and let it rest for 15 min.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled.
NOTE: This can be made with lobster or scallops for a fancier dish, adding tarragon, or basil if desired.