Lemony Shrimp Pasta
2 lemons, zested and juiced
5 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp red pepper flakes
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
¾ lb medium shrimp (21 to 25), peeled, deveined,
and butterflied (reserve the shells)
¾ lb thin linguini
2 Tbsp butter (unsalted)
1 small bunch parsley, leaves chopped
- In a bowl, combine garlic, zest and juice of 1 lemon, olive oil, pepper flakes, salt and pepper to taste and shrimp. Set aside to marinate.
- Shrimp Stock: In a small pot over medium heat, add the shrimp shells and onion. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Strain into a bowl and discard the shells and onion.
- Bring large pot of water to a boil over high heat and add a generous amount of salt. Add the linguini and cook until just tender, (2 minutes less than package instructions). Drain and reserve ½ cup of cooking water.
- Heat a skillet over high heat. Remove the shrimp from the marinade and add the shrimp to the skillet. Reserve the marinade. Cook the shrimp until they turn pink and start to carmelize, about 3 minutes.
- Remove the shrimp from pan to a plate. Put the reserved marinade in the skillet and cook a few minutes. Add 1 cup of shrimp stock and ½ cup pasta water. Continue to cook until sauce reduces by half. Stir in the zest and juice of the remaining lemon, the butter and parsley. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the shrimp and pasta to the sauce and toss to combine.
- Turn into a serving bowl and serve immediately.