CevicheVarious: Arron Sanchez, All Recipes, Pat Tyler
(Mexican, shrimp, appetizer, salad)
Yield: 4 servings, 211 calories
1½ lb shrimp (fresh or frozen)
8 limes, juiced and zested
2 tomatoes, diced
2 avocados, diced
5 green onions, minced
½ green or yellow bell pepper
½ cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced
½ C chopped parsley
freshly ground black pepper and salt to taste
1½ Tbsp olive oil (EVOO)
⅛ C chopped fresh cilantro
¼ C sliced black olives
1 4-oz can of diced green chiles
Toritlla chips for serving
Queso Fresco, crumbled for garnish
- Juice and zest the limes. Add the zest to the juice and divide.
- Peel, devein, and rinse shrimp. Add half the lime juice and zest to enough water to cover the shrimp. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Add the shrimp and cover. Remove from heat and let sit for several minutes until shrimp are opaque and pink. Remove the shrimp from the hot water/lime mixture and chill.
- Meanwhile, deseed and dice the tomatoes, avocados and ½ bell pepper; clean and minch the onions; and chop the parsley and cilantro. Combine the vegetables in a large bowl and add the shrimp when it is thoroughly chilled.
- Add the olive oil, olives, chiles, and remaining zested lime juice. Gently mix the contents of the bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle the crumbled queso fresco over the bowl just before serving with .
- Combine water and ¼ cup salt in a large saucepan; bring to a boil over high heat. Add shrimp and immediately turn off the heat. Let the shrimp sit until just cooked through, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board until cool enough to handle, about 10 minutes.
- Chop the shrimp into ½-inch pieces and place in a medium nonreactive bowl (see Tip). Add lime juice. Stir in cucumber, onion and chiles. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Stir tomato, avocado, chopped cilantro, oil and ¼ teaspoon salt into the shrimp mixture. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving. Garnish with cilantro leaves, if desired.
This may be served as a cocktail in a fancy glass with a wedge of lime on the rim or in a serving bowl as a salad. Serve with tortilla chips.
Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2 and refrigerate for up to 4 hours.