Butternut Squash SoupEmeril Lagassi
( squash )
Yield: 4 servings
1 Butternut squash, about 2 pounds
2 tablespoons peanut oil
1 cup chopped onion
1 1/2 teaspoons chopped garlic
1/2 cup thinly sliced carrot
1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon finely minced jalapeno pepper
2 cups chicken stock
1/4 cup heavy cream
- Cut the squash in half and scoop out the seeds. Peel the squash and cut into 1 inch pieces.
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring often, until they begin to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add the carrot, cumin, salt, and pepper. Cook for 1 minute, and then add squash, jalapeno pepper, and chicken stock. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15- 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Remove from the heat and puree the soup using an immersion blender, or transfer to a blender or food processor. Puree until smooth.
- Return to the heat, add the cream and adjust the seasonings.
- Serve with the shrimp salsa.