Curried Butternut Squash BisqueStar-Telegram
(soup, squash, chicken stock)
Yield: 8 1-cup servings; About 153 calories per cup.
1 tsp olive or grape seed oil
2 onions, chopped
3 cloves of garlic minced
1 Tbsp curry powder
½ tsp ground cummin
6 C reduced sodium chicken broth
1 C apple cider
½ C rice
2 lb (6 cups) butternut squash, cubed
½ tsp salt
freshly ground pepper to taste
½ C nonfat plain yogurt
2 Tbsp nonfat milk
- Heat oil in Dutch oven or heavy soup pot over medium heat. Add onions and garlic; cook until slightly softened (2-3 min).
- Stir in curry and cumin and cook for 1 min. Add broth, cider, rice and squash; Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer until squash is tender — 30 to 40 minutes.
- Pour the mixture through a strainer set over a large bowl. Pruee solids in a food processor or blender until very smooth.
- Return the puree and liquid to the pot. Heat the soup gently and season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, stir yogurt and milk in a small bowl. Ladle the soup into bowl and add a lollop of the yogurt mixture. Draw the top of a knife or a tooth pic through the yogurt to make decorative swirls.