Turkey Giblet Stockunsigned
Yield: 3 Cups
Neck and giblets (excluding liver) cut into 1" pieces
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 celery rib, coarsely chopped
1 carrot, coarsley chopped
1 onion, coarsley chopped
1 garlic clove, smashed
2 fresh thyme sprigs
4 whole black peppercorns
5 C water
3 C reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Pat neck and giblets dry. Heat oil in a 6-qt heavy pot over moderately high heat, but until not but not smoking. Brown giblets, turning occasionally, 8-10 min.
- Add celery, carrot, onion, garlic, thyme, and peppercorns. Sauté, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are browned, 7-9 minutes.
- Add water and broth and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered until liquid is reduced to about 3 cups, 45-60 min.
- Pour stock through a fine-mesh sieve into a large bowl, discard solids.
- Skim off and discard fat before using.