Mexican Turkey Noodle CasseroleFood Network
(turkey, pasta (vermicelli), tomatoes, cheese, sour cream, casseroles, Mexican )
Yield: 4 servings
¼ C extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
10 oz fine vermicelli noodles in bundles (fideo)
1 medium onion, diced
3 large garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp ground coriander (cilantro)
1 tsp dried Mexican oregano
1 tsp New Mexican chile powder
1 bay leaf
1½ C canned tomatoes & juices, crushed
1 or 2 chipotles en adobo, minced
1½ C chicken broth
2 C diced cooked turkey, chicken, or smoked chicken
freshly ground black pepper
1 C coarsly chopped Queso Anejo or feta cheese
1 C sour cream
1 tbsp finely chopped cilantro
1 lime cut into wedges
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly coat 8" X 8" casserole dish with oil. Set aside.
- In large skillet over medium heat, heat the ¼ C oil. Add the raw noodle bundles, and saute turning with a pair of tongs until golden brown on both sides, about 5 minutes. Transfer the noodles and any pieces to a plate.
- Saute the onion in the same skillet, over medium heat, until light golden, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic, ground cilantro, oregano, chile powder, and bay leaf, stirring until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes and chipotles. Increase the heat to high, and cook for 2 minuted, until thickened. Add the broth and noodles to the skillet and season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a gentle simmer, lower the heat and cook 5 minutes, breaking up the noodles with a spoon. Stir in the turkey.
- Turn the mi xture into the casserole dish. Sprinkle the cheese over and cover with foil. Bake 30 min.
- In a small serving bowl, stir together the sour cream and fresh cilantro. Serve the casserole with the flavored sour cream and the lime wedges on the side.