Turkey & Beef Meat LoafDiana Rattray, Southern Food Expert
Yield: 6 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 90 minutes
1 lb lean ground beef
1 lb lean ground turkey
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 carrot, sliced
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
1 rib celery, coarsely chopped 2 clove garlic, coarsely chopped or sliced
4 oz mushrooms
1 C picante sauce (replacing ketchup in orig. recipe)
1 Tbsp prepared mustard
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp rice vinegar
¼ tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp salt
¼ tsp black pepper
½ C fine dry bread crumbs or rolled oats
- Preheat over to 350°. Spray large loaf pan or rectangular baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine the beef and turkey in large bowl with the eggs.
- In a food processor, combine the carrot, onion, celery, garlic, and green pepper. Process until finely chopped.
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, heat the oil. Add the chopped vegetables and cook, stirring for 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, process the mushrooms until finely chopped. Add them to the vegetables and continue cooking for 1 minute.
- Combine the picante with mustard, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, red pepper, salt, and black pepper.
- Put about three-quarters of the picante mixture in with the meat mixture along with the bread crumbs.
- Add the vegetables and mushrooms and mix until well blended.
- Packe the mixture into a loaf pan or shape into a free-form loaf in the rectangular baking pan.
- Bake the meatloaf for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Carefully pour off any excess grease. Spread the remaining picante mixture over the loaf and continue cooking for 15 minutes.