Roasted Zucchini SkinsBobby Dean
This is a reduced calorie remake of Paula Deen's recipe, Zucchini Boats with Tomato, Rice, and Olives
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 40 min
Cook Time: 20 min
4 medium zucchini
olive oil spray
2 Tbsp olive oil, plus more for drizzling
salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 strips turkey bacon, chopped
½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
½ red onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 lemon, juiced and zested
½ red bell pepper, finely chopped
3 C farro, an ancient variety of wheat, cooked according to package directions
½ C reduced-fat Cheddar
2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
2 Tbsp chopped green onions
2 Tbsp reduced-fat sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- To make the zucchini boats, split the zucchini lengthwise. Carefully scoop out the flesh using a small spoon, taking care not to pierce the back of the skin. Continue until each zucchini half resembles a canoe.
- Place the hollowed zucchini boats onto a foil-lined baking sheet and spray with olive oil. Drizzle with some olive oil and sprinkle with salt and black pepper. Roast until they begin to soften, 15 to 18 minutes. Set aside while you make the farro salad.
- Sauté the turkey bacon in the olive oil in a mediium sauté pan over medium-high heat for 3 minutes per side, then add the zucchini flesh, red pepper flakes and red onions. Cook until the zucchini begins to soften. Add the garlic, lemon zest and juice, bell peppers, and sauté until the peppers soften.
- Transfer the vegetables to a mixing bowl. Stir in the farro, cheese, basil, green onions, and sour cream to combine.
- Scoop about ½ cup of the farro salad into each zucchini boat and serve immediately.